Feb 12, 2014

Fabric Dachshund

Fabric Dachshund




      I LOVE dogs, always have, always will. I live with a 13 years old and very bored Dachshund that sometimes answers to the name Cookie and a hyperactive black lab, Eli. I wish I could adopt a third one but the italian government considers them “a luxury product” - go figure, and therefore applies to them the highest level of taxation!!! Polemics aside, it was pretty obvious that if I wanted to use my newly found skill set to make a toy for my niece it had to be a puppy. I was inspired by Sian Keegan’s Ollie, but the one I was planning to make had to be bigger.

      As it seemed simple enough, I decided to draft the pattern for it myself … and I found the 3D design classes I took in college, quite useful for the purpose (spatial visualisation and all). To give it a bit more shaping … and make it stand not splay I used darts. The fabric for the main body is woven wool, and the ears, tail, nose and the collar are felted wool. I used two buttons for the eyes cause I like the classic fabric toy look and chain stitched by hand eyebrows and mouth. The colors I chose were not inspired by my doxie but by hers, Duffy, and is 35 cm long (tail not included).

      What I’ve learned:
  • to draft a fabric toy pattern;
  • what are the darts and how to use them to give shape;
  • seam allowances … I intended for it to be a bit longer but I did not consider the seam allowance;








      She loves it... :)



Bassotto di pezza




      Io AMO i cani, da sempre. Vivo con un bassotto di 13 anni che qualche volta risponde al nome Cookie e un labrador iperattivo, Eli. Mi piacerebbe adottarne un terzo, ma siccome il nostro "caro" governo considera i cani (e i gatti) “prodotti di lusso”; mi sa che sarà un po' difficile. Polemiche a parte, era piuttosto ovvio che se volevo usare le mie nuove conoscenze per fare un giocatolo di pezza per la mia nipotina non poteva che essere un cucciolo. Mi piaceva molto il bassotto "Ollie" di Sian Keegan solo che lo volevo molto più grande.

      Come mi sembrava abbastanza semplice, ho deciso di disegnare il modello me stessa ed il corso di design 3D che ho seguito all’università mi e stato molto d'aiuto (visualizzazione spaziale ecc.). Per darli un po' più di forma ... e farlo stare in piedi e non sulla pancia con le gambe allargate sui lati, ho usato delle pince. Il tessuto per il corpo e di lana e per le orecchie, la coda ed il naso ho usato il panno Lenci. Ho cucito due bottoni per fare gli occhi alla maniera dei giocatoli di pezza classici e con il punto catenella ho disegnato sopracciglia e bocca. I colori che ho scelto soon uguali a quelli del mantello del bassotto della mia nipotina: Duffy, ed e lungo 35 cm (coda non compresa).

       Cosa ho imparato:
  • come disegnare un modello per giocatolo;
  • cosa sono le pince e come usarle per dare forma;
  • lasciare margini per la cucitura... doveva essere un po' più grande ma non ho lasciato margini;









      Le piace... :)



Comment?

Google+